TYUMEN MUSEUMS


The private museum of Grigory Rasputin

Address: Tyumen Oblast, the village of Pokrovskoye (70 km from Tyumen)
The museum received its first guests, the group of businessmen from Austria, on 17 July, 1992. The records left by this quests in the book of opinions prove this fact to be true.
The museum exhibits private things of  the Rasputins: dressing-table, old Viennese chair that is surrounded by a playful legend, Simeon Verkhoturskiy's icon, ancient forged trunk, spoon and dish with the personal monogram of Alexandra Fedorovna – the wife of Nikolay Romanov, that was presented to Rasputin by her and other things. There are also  the authentic photographs of Grigoriy Rasputin and his family, the personal notes of Rasputin, the design of the iconostasis of local temple, photo of the Romanovs family. The photograph of doctor Vladimirov and the nurse P.A. Kuznetsova who operated Rasputin in 1914 after the sensational attempt in the village of Pokrovskoye has appeared recently in the exposition of the museum.
The museum has the copies of the documents, which are stored in different archives of Russia and extensive printed material about Rasputin, published in the different languages.
This museum was visited by the different operator groups of the known motion picture studios: BBC, Munich television, the national television of France, ORT, NTV, the film crew of Leonid Parfenov and the legendary group «Boney M».

The State Museum of Fine Arts.


This museum was opened as a gallery in 1957 based on the art collections of Tyumen and Tobolsk local museums. Over 180 pieces of the Russian and West-European art were transferred to that gallery. Russian museum, State Hermitage, Perm gallery and some other museums offered their pictures, esquisses, drawings, for the new gallery in Tyumen. Now it is a  museum with a various type of collections: 
 

Collection of Russian classical painting, which includes masterpieces  of such well-known artists as Repin, Shishkin, Levitan, Aivasovsky, Vasnetsov and many others; 
Department of the foreign art with paintings of Spanish and Dutch masters of the XVIII-XIX centuries;
Collection of Siberian natives folk art;
Collection of decorative wood-carving mastery, consisted of some natural parts of an old Siberian houses;

Collection of Tobolsk Ivory-carving, an much more.
 

In addition you can visit not only the state exhibitions there, but take a look at the paintings of our-days Tyumen and Tobolsk artists and some interesting exhibitions from other museums in the halls for mobile art-projects.


 

The House Museum of the 18-19 centuries.


This building is a masterpiece of wooden architecture, with elements of baroque and classical styles decorated with traditional in Siberia wood-carving technique. Firstly the house belonged to the Ikonnikovs family and was the private residence of the merchant. Ikonnikov was the person who took his own place in Tyumens past.  The house was the witness of many important events of citys life. Alexander II had stayed here when he visited Siberia in 1837 before he became the emperor of Russia. He was here with his tutor – the famous Russian poet Zhukovsky. At the end of 1880 this house was bought by I.Kolokolnikov – the wealthy merchant who reconstructed it and the house turned into a small palace. The headquarters of Vasiliy Bluher, commander of the 51st Army of riflemen were situated here in 1919 – in the period of the Civil War. Now it is the Museum with particular atmosphere of foretime and it impresses its visitors with the interior and the outside decoration.

 

The House Museum of Masharov. 

Here located the exhibition about the famous Tyumen industrialist of the 19 century Nicolay Masharov. He had founded a cast-iron foundry and was quite successful businessman. The rooms of his house were reconstructed carefully with the assistance of photos, documents, personal things belonged to some families lived in the 19 century. Nowadays you can still feel the life atmosphere of wealthy merchant family. You can also look at the different cast-iron articles – sculptures, frames, boxes and other decorative things made at Masharovs factory.

 

Municipal Duma.

This building was constructed in 1830s and accounted as one of the most original and brilliant monuments of architecture. The building is decorated with a tower striking clock made in 1857 by the peasant Trusov.

The permanent exposition «Museum and Nature», showing flora, fauna and paleontology exhibits located on the second floor. The most spectacular of them is the skeleton of fossil mammoth found in the vicinities of Tyumen in the 19 century. This mammoth is the biggest one all over Russia. The fossil bison and wooly rhinoceros are affecting exhibits too. The rich zoological, fossil botany collections and entomological collection which include about 10 000 insects are also really interesting. The first floor of the museum is allocated for new various exhibitions which alternate a few times a year.

Museum of Oil and Gas

In this museum you have an opportunity to get acquainted with a new epoch in the Tyumen region history. The exhibition is given over to the history of discovery of the natural riches and development of the largest oil and gas fields in the West-Siberia; and also it is dedicated to some issues of the unique energy center of Russia.
The other part of exhibition is about the North nations (chanty, mansy, nentsy) life. It shows the traditional inhabitant of north tribes – chum, some clothes, handcrafts etc. 

The exhibition «Mineral riches of Siberia» displays the collection of rare minerals found in the territory. Especially bright exhibit it the map of Tyumen region which made of valuable minerals. 

 

Archaeological museum

The museum is a unique archeological complex with representative collection showing us the history of the region from ancient times to our days. Here the settlements, sanctuaries and entombments including the Stone Edge were discovered and explored. Bronze shields decorated with animal and people depictions, silver coins and many other interesting objects were fond in the ancient sacrarium of Mansy.